Language is ever-changing, and the ways we use words to express ourselves are constantly evolving. So, it’s no surprise that the phrase “I love you” has become somewhat overused and clichéd in recent years.
This list is for your if you’re looking for alternative ways to say “I love you”. If you want to know more about love in general, head over to our love language guide.
Here are 30 things to say instead of “I love you”:
Romantic things to say instead of “I love you”
Are you a romantic? If so, these things to say instead of “I love you” are sure to speak to your heart:
1. I’m grateful for you
Gratitude is always a good feeling, and expressing it to your partner will make them feel appreciated.
2. You’re my reason to smile
This is a compliment every person likes to hear. After all, who doesn’t want to be the reason someone else is happy?
3. You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me
This is a common phrase, but it’s still a great way to say “I love you.”
4. I’m so lucky to be with you
This is a nice way of saying that you feel grateful to be in a relationship with your partner.
5. I fall more in love with you every day
Only say this if it’s truly how you feel! If you’ve been with your partner for a while and find that your love for them is only getting stronger, let them know with this phrase.
6. There’s no one else I’d rather be with
This phrase communicates both love and commitment.
7. I want to spend the rest of my life with you
Do I hear the wedding bells? This is a serious declaration of love and commitment. If you’re ready for a lifetime with your partner, let them know with this phrase.
8. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for us together
What a sweet way to say that you’re excited to see what the future has in store for your relationship.
9. Seeing you happy is all I need
That’s a wonderful thing to say and a great way of expressing how much you care about your partner’s happiness. It shows that you are fully invested in their joy and contentment and that their wellbeing is important to you.
10. I would do anything for you
This is a phrase often used in love songs, but it’s still a beautiful way to say “I love you.” It communicates that you’re willing to go the extra mile for your partner and that they mean a lot to you.
Cute things to say instead of “I love you”
If the romantic phrases are too cheesy for you, try one of these cute things to say instead:
1. I love being with you
This is a great way of saying that you love the time you spend with your partner and that being around them brings you happiness.
2. You’re my home
Home is where the heart is, and this phrase communicates that your partner is where you feel most comfortable and at ease.
3. You’re my favorite person in the world
It’s always nice to hear that we’re someone’s favorite. This phrase is a great way of saying “I love you” in a sweet and simple way.
4. I’m so proud of you
Tell your partner how proud you are of them and their accomplishments. They’ll feel good knowing that you’re cheering them on and that you believe in them.
5. I care about you
Sometimes, the simplest things are the most impactful. This phrase communicates that you care about your partner and that they’re important to you.
6. You’re my best friend
When you’re in a relationship with your best friend, it’s the best of both worlds. Let them know how much they mean to you with this phrase.
7. I’m happy when I’m with you
There’s no greater feeling than knowing that we make someone else happy. If being with your partner brings you joy, let them know with this phrase.
8. You’re so cute when you _
Fill in the blank with whatever it is that your partner does that you find adorable. Maybe they get a little embarrassed when they’re caught being sentimental, or perhaps they have an endearing way of eating their food. Whatever it is, let them know that you think it’s cute!
9. You are beautiful/handsome
This is a classic compliment, but it’s one that will never go out of style. Plus, it’s always nice to hear!
10. You always make me laugh
Humor is an important part of any relationship. If you need more ideas, here can you find cute things to say to your girlfriend.
Funny things to say instead of “I love you”
If you’re a couple who loves to laugh, consider using one of these funny things to say instead of “I love you.”
1. You’re the peanut butter to my jelly
Mmmh, PB&J. This classic comfort food is a great way to say “I love you.”
2. We go together like coffee and donuts
Now, this is a pairing that we can get behind! If you and your partner are the perfect match, let them know with this phrase.
3. We’re two peas in a pod
Don’t like peas? You can also say, “We’re two nuts in a shell” or “We’re two strawberries in a field.”
4. You’re the cheese to my macaroni.
If you’re a vegan couple, you can say, “You’re the avocado to my toast.”
5. We belong together like milk and cookies
This is a great way of saying that you and your partner are meant to be together. Plus, it’s sure to put a smile on their face.
6. I love you more than sleep
Wow, that’s a big compliment. I mean, who doesn’t love sleep?
7. If you knew how much I think about you, I would be very embarrassed
Good thing your partner will never know!
8. You’re the only person I want to annoy for the rest of my life
Hey, even the most annoying habits can be endearing when we love someone.
9. Out of all the people in the world, I’m glad you’re the one I’m stuck with
What a sweet way of saying that you wouldn’t want to be with anyone else.
10. I’m amazed by the things you don’t find embarrassing about me
Sometimes, the things that we find embarrassing about ourselves are the things that our partners find most adorable.
Whether you want to be sweet, funny, or romantic, there are plenty of things to say instead of “I love you”. So, the next time you’re feeling extra affectionate, try out one of these phrases. We guarantee your partner will appreciate it! Check out these secret ways to say I love you in a text for more inspiration.
- Boundaries in Dating: How Healthy Choices Grow Healthy Relationships
- Love in Every Season: Understanding the Four Stages of Every Healthy Relationship
- Love More, Fight Less: Communication Skills Every Couple Needs: A Relationship Workbook for Couples
- Infidelity Recovery Workbook for Couples: Tools and Exercises to Rebuild Your Relationship
- Healthy Me, Healthy Us: Your Relationships Are Only as Strong as You Are